Monday, September 13, 2010

Doping

In my own personal opinion sports will not be as interesting to me if genetic doping, steroids, and other drugs became legal in the world of sports. I think of them as needing to be natural, involving talents that the body can naturally and self obtain using training. But it is such a tough issue because, consider this, creatine and other supplements are now legal, but they could at some point become illegal and found as a performance enhancer just as steroids are, that would mean all this time people have been using performance enhancers. In other words, creatine and other building supplements are possibly the loop-hole drug at this point in time. Just as the slides that Ms. Todd showed us said that performance enhancers have dated all the way back to the time of ancient Greek athletes, there has been loop-hole drugs since that time, and just because we feel our technology is now reaching the top, I feel there will still be loop-hole drugs in sport. It is just a part of sports, the bad side of sports in my opinion, always has, and most likely always will be. However, when it comes to Hollywood actors such as Brad Pitt, I don't see the problem in them taking steroids and other drugs for appearance. Of course I see the problem in the health aspect, and that is upsetting, but Hollywood actors and actresses have been using drugs just as long as athletes have and I do not see it stopping anytime soon. They are only hurting themselves as far as the health goes. However America is obsessed with fit, thin bodies, and I can understand where their urges may come from as much as they are in the public eye. Whereas in sports, I feel it is almost cheating to use performance enhancement because I really like to think of someones body as being naturally able to move a certain way, or jump a certain height, or run a certain speed. However as I mentioned with the creatine being legal... and how I do not particularly see an issue with athletes taking that..It makes me begin to wonder if the only reason myself, and the majority of America looks at drugs so negatively is simply because of the "illegal" factor. Other supplements or objects such as an altitude tent could boost your performance just as much, however since drugs such as steroids are "illegal" that automatically gives them a horrible stigma.

No comments:

Post a Comment